The devil didn’t make you do it – Shaykh Fawzan
The devil didn’t make you do it
Explained by Shaykh Fawzan
Question: May Allah reward you. The questioner says: Is it legislated to curse satan or to seek refuge from him?
Shaykh Fawzan: Seeking refuge from him, yes this is desired.
وَإِمَّا يَنْزَغَنَّكَ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ نَزْغٌ فَاسْتَعِذْ بِاللَّهِ
If a suggestion from satan assails you, seek refuge with Allah (7:200)
فَإِذَا قَرَأْتَ الْقُرْآنَ فَاسْتَعِذْ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ
When you read the Quran, seek Allah’s protection from satan the rejected one. (16:98)
Therefore seeking refuge with Allah from satan is desired. As for cursing, cursing satan, this is a foregone conclusion. Satan is cursed; you are not going to add anything to that. And if you disobey Allah do not blame satan, blame yourself my brother. Repent to Allah and blame yourself. Satan is a test; but you should blame yourself. Repent to Allah and seek forgiveness from your Lord the Mighty and Majestic. Satan did not force you to do this, you have a choice; he did not force you. You obeyed him without being forced to do so.
وَمَا كَانَ لِيَ عَلَيْكُمْ مِنْ سُلْطَانٍ إِلَّا أَنْ دَعَوْتُكُمْ فَاسْتَجَبْتُمْ لِي فَلَا تَلُومُونِي وَلُومُوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ
I had no authority over you except to call you, and you listened to me: then do not blame me, but blame your own souls. (14:22)
Translated by Rasheed ibn Estes Barbee
- Is it permissible for the Muslim to curse Shaytaan ?
- The Sermon of Iblis to the Disbelievers on the Day of Judgement
- Battle of Badr : Shaytan’s false promises to Mushrikeen
- When an evil thought comes to them from Shaytan ..
- Meaning of the Ayah “…and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan”
- Whosoever turns away blindly from the remembrance of the Most Gracious, We appoint for him Shaytan to be a Qarin